Search This Blog

Monday, December 27, 2010

The Loons!

Have you ever come across someone that just blows you away with their outrageous behavior?  I have a number of times, partially because where I live.  I remember being on vacation in Hawaii in 1998 and there was this guy that rode a bicycle and he had a Blue McCaw parrot and he would stand on the corner and scream quotes from the Bible at the top of his lungs.  There is someone in my neighborhood who can seem completely normal, and then just go off on you like a crazed lunatic. 

I think "crazy" has several levels. 

1.) First level, you are completely batty and don't know that you are, and these unfortunate souls are oblivious to their behavior and its reception.  So maybe in their case ignorance is bliss.
2.) Second level, the paranoid, delusions of grandeur, and busy bodies.  These ones can be everyday ordinary folks who, for whatever reason, seem to cross certain lines.  I am sure you know the type where you have been at a function and someone asks you a really inappropriate question or a neighbor takes an unusual interest in your comings and goings.
3.) Third level, the Waiters...these are the folks that noone every suspects of any misgivings.  They lay in wait until we all least suspect them and then pounce.  All their friends, family and neighbors say the same thing on the 5 O-clock news "quiet, kept to themselves, nicest guy, nothing out of the ordinary".

I have often wondered if any of these people go home at night and think the exact same thing about "the normal" ones.  I include myself in that category, but in truth I think that we all have a little bit of crazy in us.  I suppose the question is really how do you deal with one that comes into your own little world.  I would never pretend to have all the answers but maybe you fight fire with fire.  Fly your freak flag, turn the tables and give them a little bit of crazy yourself...or...do nothing.  Be grateful that you feel grounded and sane (even if maybe in someone else's eyes, you're a loon)!

No comments:

Post a Comment